Technology is quickly changing the way information is being used in the medical field. New technology is directly responsible for many exciting new applications that are quickly changing the way the healthcare industry operates. From DNA testing hardware, to genomic testing, to increased funding for areas like drug discovery, genetics and information technology, much is happening in the world of medicine.
Traditional healthcare methods are being transformed into new practices, with emphasis on a more personalized approach. Things are being done faster and more easily by medical professionals and the ongoing communication between medical professionals and the average consumer is being made transparent with the help of new technology. Information is being accessed more quickly, by more people and shared more efficiently.
Overall communication in the medical field is improving across the board for everyone. This is a “win win” situation for on the job medical personnel as well as consumers who are being allowed to access more information directly from their electronic devices in their homes or anywhere.
Technology not only makes it possible for advances to take place, but it makes them necessary because of public expectations. New technology is continually changing everything in the average person’s daily life. With the explosion of computer programing, the internet and computer accessible devices like iPhones and iPads, most people are used to having access to information very quickly. Technology has made consumers less patient. Unlike 20 years ago, people don’t expect to have to wait weeks or days for access to information such as pregnancy test results or confirmation of medical problems.
The medical profession is changing also because private companies are using technology in new ways to making improvements in research and to crank out new products for better health care analysis and treatment of medical conditions.
One of the high priority subject areas that is expanding is in the area of genomics, which focuses on studying the various aspect of cell structure data and identifying the characteristics of cell DNA. Advances are being made in this area for improved researching of data.
New Research Methods
Let’s take a look at three new research methods and three new software applications that have come about because of better technology.
Three companies are some of those at the forefront for contributing developments that are improving the way research is being done.
• Beijing Genomics is working on state-of-the-art genome sequencing hardware which will allow scientists to collaborate data for human, plant and animal DNA.
• Foundation Medicine has designed a new genomic test called “Foundation One” which works on analyzing mutations that occur in the DNA of identified cancerous tumors. It will help doctors improve the treatment of cancers.
• Partners Healthcare is diving into genomic research by investing $1 billion a year for drug discovery, genetics and information technology.
Here are three new software applications that been created to benefit both consumers and medical professional. These applications are geared toward improving the processes involved in the diagnosis and treatment of a variety of medical conditions.
• Impact Mobile App uses neurocognitive assessment tools to quickly assess short term memory and balance issues for diagnosing athletic concussions in real time.
• Medsafe database is a new cloud-based database app that sends alerts to family and friends in the event that a loved one fails to take their prescribed medication.
• Swiftpay MD is a new iPhone and iPad app that allows doctors to do on-the-spot voice record diagnoses and to pinpoint billing codes.
Every day new products are being introduced to improve health care methods. Here are three companies that have made recent advances in product development:
• Lumoback has created a new sensor that can be attached to an IPhone or IPad for improving individual posture. The sensor vibrates when a person’s body assumes a slouching position.
• Ekso Bionics is working on developing robotic exoskeletons which will aid paralyzed persons in their attempts at walking. The exoskeleton operates with electric motors to imitate the action of muscles in the movement of the body’s joints.
• SetPoint Medical has designed a miniature implant which can be connected to an individual’s vagus nerve. The implant is aimed at lessening a patient’s degree of inflammation caused by chronic diseases such as multiple sclerosis and diabetes.
The technology of today is making healthcare increasingly more responsive and better at both the diagnosis and treatment of a variety of health problems. While traditional health care methods have generally been focused on providing an overall generic approach to patient’s needs, present day healthcare is becoming increasingly more personal and patient centered, as opposed to disease centered and the trend is expected to continue.
In recent years, a whole new field of study called Health Informatics has been created in educational to zero in on the challenges facing the medical industry and to attract more young people to career jobs which will tackle many of the inherent problems facing hospitals and medical treatment facilities.
The growth of technology and the changes directing the more personalized approach to healthcare is also directly related to a growth in the job market for related jobs. There is naturally a growing demand for, more IT career minded people in addition to healthcare professionals and specialists such as nurses to meet the increasing needs that exist in our growing population.